Tuesday, November 4, 2008

corporate media is lazy!!

I am writing to express my deep concern over the quality of the written component of your 'news' website. This evening I went to the WKBW site to see the coverage of the presidential election, and was intruiged by a "Top Story" posted on the main page of the site. When I read the copy below the story headline, I was disappointed to find no less than TWENTY basic spelling, grammar, sentence structure and punctuation errors in a "news" story that was less than 350 words long. This is appalling, and undermines any faith I have in the quality of "news" that you're putting forward. Although the story entitled "Lost Little Girl Goes Home" might be part of "You News," there is NO excuse for this kind of garbage being put forward as a news story, indistinguishable from the content generated by credentialed journalists. I am an unabated supporter of the freedom of the media, and the burgeoning citizen journalist trades, but there is no reason that the public should be subjected to content that hasn't been passed across the desk of an editor who will craft the story for public consumption. Citizen journalism exploited for corporate media purposes (and to support the job cuts of larger corporations) should become part of a collaborative project in order to protect the integrity of the professional journalism it stands alongside.

I can no longer send my school-aged children to your site for news, since I cannot be assured that what they access will not be checked for basic grammar and punctuation. As this is the case, can anyone be assured that the stories have been fact checked?

I stand in solidarity with the remaining employees who try to fill the news hole, but I insist upon a higher standard of professionalism in the content you produce or air. I only hope that the "multi-media journalist" job opening you currently post is filled by someone who can write a proper sentence.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

No comments: